Saturday, January 14, 2012

What? You Too? I Thought i Was the Only One!

(Alternative Beginning: I have friends! Lots and lots of them!)
This past weekend i didn't sleep very much. It wasn't because i was stressed, or sick, or had a guilty conscience.  It was because i was surrounded by people who didn't just like me. I was surrounded by people who respect me. 
Jedi works with this girl we'll call Buttons (because she is obsessed with buttons and she made her wedding theme buttons including her bouquet.) In a conversation she mentioned how all of her married friends were too busy being married, and all of her single friends were too busy being single.
 "I just wish i had friends!" she said to him. "I mostly just hang out with my family." 
"Really? So do me and my wife." That started and endless list of things in common.

Just like an online dating site, we proceeded to exchange numbers and add each other on social networking sites. Soon a date was arranged and we went to their house. We were supposed to leave at eleven but we stayed until two. The next night we did better. We left at one. Then we took two steps backwards and they left at two thirty.
It's cool though- we'll go to leave but we are just so interested in what each other has to say we will end up talking for four hours strait and not notice! They Literally sat in my dining room with coats on and shoes tied from ten until two thirty. Who does that? 
She even invited me to girls night tonight after my Other group of friends didn't work out but i was in school too late. Speaking of my other group of friends i'm kind of in a bitter sweet situation. 

This group involves all the girls from school. When you spend as much time together as we do you kind of have to like each other. I haven't really been able to call them friends yet (technically i still can't because we only see each other at school.) They asked me to go to a girls night and i was So excited to go! There was going to be pizza and movies and board games and pajamas and other fun girl stuff!! There was also going to be vodka, rum, beer, and something else that i didn't know existed. They didn't really understand why i backed out. Lots of "It won't kill you" and some "Live a little!" made me a little on the blue side. 
I just didn't want to put myself in that kind of a situation. I've never been around alcohol or drugs (in fact i keep having to spell check my alcoholic and drug terms I.E. Alcahol) and frankly i don't want to. 
At first they said we should have beer there and i thought "Eh, could be worse." I said that i'd have to talk it over with my husband. He grew up outside of the Utah bubble and he said "just don't drink." I wouldn't have a problem with drinking (mostly because i know what it does to people, but it does help that it clashes horribly with some medication i take) but then they started talking about strip clubs and gay bars and asking if i would be the designated driver. 
You bet i gave them a flat out no. "Why" they asked "is this a Jedi thing?"
"No, this is a Bekah thing."

I've never lived in that moment before. Never have i stood up for myself like that. It was always pushed on my mom or my teacher- this or that. That is one thing that my family has taught me this year, mostly my mom. Being nice to people, but also being nice to yourself. 
I didn't mean to make those girls sound like horrible people. That is just how the world is. It's socially acceptable to do those things. Setting aside my beliefs i don't see how anyone gets pleasure from that yucky stuff. 

Anyway, Buttons found out about this and asked if i wanted to join her and her other friend for their girls night. I was in school so i couldn't go which turned out to be a good thing. Jedi is stressed with work and school. Tomorrow should be good. My nephews first birthday and then i get to hang with Buttons and her husband. I'm really excited to go to church actually. It might be that it is at one instead of nine. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment